Re: Approaches for killing left-behind processes

El lun, 09-11-2009 a las 14:12 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard escribió:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 01:07:24PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> >> Sure, that's one of the needed things. Also, this should also be
> >> "daemonized"
> >
> >Perhaps, or just run from cron.  The latter is easier, but require
> >cron to be functional. :)
> >
> >> do you have any idea of a practical time interval to wait between
> >> requests?
> >
> >Not sure what is needed to maximize the changes of success, but I
> >would go with 3 tries with 5 seconds between them, and hope that was
> >enough.
>
> If it is known what causes unreliability - e.g. LDAP sometimes
> unresponsive - then perhaps extend the script to do e.g. simple direct
> LDAP queries to verify if getent responses are likely to be reliable.
>
> (sorry if I misunderstood - I haven't followed this thread closely).

I think that, as getent request are done via nscd that's caching data,
You have two scenaries:
- ldap might be having a bad moment, but the data can be got through
nscd
- ldap might respond to a query, but a few milliseconds later be
unresponsive and getent through nscd through nslcd might fail.
So, two or three tries seems safer for me to be (aprox) sure the server
is unresponsive.