Re: Approaches for killing left-behind processes

[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> As many people don't feel confident with gambas I have translated
> the script into python. It's attached to this email. For this script
> to work, it must be executed as root.

Very nice.  Perhaps we should replace the implementation in the killer
package with this one?  Perhaps add support for reporting which
processes are killed to the user or syslog, to get more of the
features of the old killer program.

>         if len(loggedusers) != 0:
>             for user in loggedusers:
>                 newID=commands.getoutput("getent passwd " + user + "|cut -f3 -d:")
>                 uids[newID]=user

One report of failure with the killer package is when the LDAP server
is overloaded and fail to return user information.  Could it be an
idea to try several times to look up user information if getent fail
to return any information?

Happy hacking,