Re: Failing DNS selftest with new DNS in LDAP configuration

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:22:28PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The DNS self test executed at the end of the installation fail with
> the new DNS in LDAP configuration.  The reason is that two entries are
> no longer present in DNS:
>
>   dhcp001.intern / 10.0.2.101
>   ltsp010.intern / 192.168.0.10
>
> Should these be present, or should the test code be changed?  No
> dhcp###.intern entries are in DNS at the moment, and only
> ltsp200.intern-ltsp253.intern are present for the ltsp### entires.  In
> addition, ltspserver00, printer00 and static00 are present in
> DNS. Should the latter be removed?  I would guess that either we
> expect all new hosts/boxes to be registered in DNS when they are added
> to the network (and thus should drop ltspserver00, printer00, static00
> and ltsp###), or they should not and we should reinsert the DNS
> entries we used to include in Etch.

The records for AFS are missing too (because the pdns version in Lenny
does not support them and I did not find a way to include “generic”
recods).

After the switch to powerdns I tried to include all the records from the
old bind configuration but left the generated records (the one with a
"$GENERATE" line in bind config) out, because there was no good way to
put them in LDAP.

I think the better way would be to “activate” the records when the other
information about the ltspserver/printer/statichost are added through
LDAP.

> I guess which one we pick depend on how easy it is to add new entries
> to DNS.  Preferably it should be one click based on the information
> collected using sitesummary.  Or we could expect admins to add the
> required information to LDAP using lwat.

Adding them with LDAP is a good idea anyway. This way admins really add
the information about their network (ldapservers are not only be
installed but also registered in LDAP enabling other to see how much
ldapservers have really been deployed).

Greetings

Daniel