Re: Debian Edu in Indian Schools

El lun, 13-07-2009 a las 04:49 -0700, Praveen A escribió:

Hello Praveen, welcome

> 2009/7/13 Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>:
> > Welcome to Debian Edu! Good luck with your project and have fun!!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> > The terminology is a bit complicated: Debian Edu is the name of the Debian
> > subproject aimed at producing the Debian pure blend distribution "Debian Edu"
> > or "Skolelinux". Linex used to be a different customized Debian based
> > distribution _and_ the name of the project to bring Linux in schools in
> > Extremadura. Since last year, Linex is not deployed in schools in Extremadura
> > anymore, but Debian Edu (with some modifications, like you plan to include
> > OpenOffice.org 3.0).
>
> Thanks for the clarifications. How is the changes needed for linex maintained?

First, a little bit of history:
when at LinEx decide to use Debian Edu in our schools we were still
using a Debian Sarge derivative and Debian Etch was the stable version.
We decide to work on the Debian Edu version for Lenny, but we need to
implement it in our schools as soon as  possible as Sarge was pretty
old.
Also, we use Gnome instead of Kde, and our architecture in the schools
was a little different from Debian Edu architecture. Not very different,
as the services were similar, but we use different applications to do
the same (dnsmasq vs bind & dhcpd, as an example).

So, we begun to follow these steps about 18 months ago:
a) adding the Gnome stuff to the configurations metapackages of Debian
Edu
b) adding some configurations and uploading a bunch of educative
applications to Debian or to the education-xxxx metapackages as
dependencies.
c) collaborating with Debian Edu to do the "ldapify" of the main
services, so , even if the architecture is not exactly the same, the
differences are contained in the ldap database, not in the configuration
files included in the cd
d) We did a pilot in a school for 9 months and prepare the migration of
our schools

And, after that history, the point that must be more interesting for
you: We needed to migrate our schools at the beginning of the past
course (Sept 2008 - July 2009). At that time (Sep 2008) Debian Lenny was
not still stable, and now Debian Edu for Lenny hasn't been released yet.
So to fulfil our needs we:
a) Prepared a Debian Lenny installation cd (made with simple-cdd) to
install and setup a Debian Edu main server and sent it to our schools
b) Prepared an image of the ltsp server and clone the ltsp servers in
all the schools. In fact, that cloning was done by an external company
as we bought new servers to that company (I haven't told it before but
we were using old workstations in the schools, without LTSP and we have
migrated those old workstation to thin clients and bought one LTSP
server per classroom). Thanks to the "ldapifycation" all the ltsp
servers of every classroom of every school are exactly equal. Their
behaviour depends on the configuration added to the ldap server of the
school.

And the main part:
- The architecture was already thought in Debian Edu. If you follow the
list, most of the problems that are delaying the Debian Edu release are
installer problems (and lack of documentation due to lack of man power).
So, knowing the architecture and how to implement it, we could do it by
hand without needing the Debian Edu cd.
- To upgrade smoothly the system and to put fine grained configurations
we are using puppet (similar to cfengine but with a more powerful and
easy scripting language and a richer developing community). All the main
servers are clients of one puppet server we have. So every 30 minutes,
they pick up any configuration and apply it to themselves. And every
ltsp server is a puppet client of the school main server.

So, we begun the massive migration in Jan 2009, and it's being finished
now in the laziest ones. Main servers were migrated in a reasonable
time, but the ltsp servers and ltsp classroom setup has take more time
in some schools (some schools prefered to wait to the end of the
classes, some others have problems with the cables or other logistic
problems that delayed the beginning of the whole migration).

Using Puppet, in our puppet server we can apply any change in the setup
or any improvement in less than 30 minutes to all the schools. Also the
upgrading to the stable lenny release (to 5.0, 5r1 and 5r2) have been
done using it.

That's all, if you need further explanations because my spanglish was
not easy to understand, don't hesitate in ask for more data.

Regards.
José L.