Re: Debian Edu in Indian Schools

Hi Praveen,

Welcome to Debian Edu! Good luck with your project and have fun!!!

On Samstag, 11. Juli 2009, Praveen A wrote:
> I'm happy to announce our decision to adopt Debian Edu for GNU/Linux
> in Schools. This is part of ICT@School project of Karnataka state in
> South India.

Cheers!! Sounds great!

> We are still in the initial stages of the project. We
> would like to work closely with debian edu and bring an official
> flavour (not sure if it the correct terminology - it would be like
> skolelinux or linex).

The terminology is a bit complicated: Debian Edu is the name of the Debian
subproject aimed at producing the Debian pure blend distribution "Debian Edu"
or "Skolelinux". Linex used to be a different customized Debian based
distribution _and_ the name of the project to bring Linux in schools in
Extremadura. Since last year, Linex is not deployed in schools in Extremadura
anymore, but Debian Edu (with some modifications, like you plan to include
OpenOffice.org 3.0).

> With some help from irc, I have been able to
> build cd images (lenny test dvd). I am currently maintaining Malayalam
> translations of debian installer and some debconf templates.

You do this inside the Debian-Installer svn or just for yourself?

regards,
	Holger