Problem/Blocker: ~/.mozilla blocks login

Dear list,

repeatedly I get complaints of students who cannot login.

I found out that some Firefox sessions leave files in ~/.mozilla that
make the X server crash. All I can do at the moment is delete those
folders. I tried hard to single out what files are those - but without
success.

I can only tell, that login works via ssh/sftp, but any graphical window
manager will fail (gnome, icewm, kde).

Does anybody else know this trouble? I cannot even tell, what firefox
version/on what platform causes this problem - but how come an
application keeps a windowmanager from starting?

quite desperate,
Ralf