Re: Some notes on multimedia support in iceweasel

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:21:44PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>I've updated the above URL with information about the (claimed)
>supported MIME types for the different multimedia plugins.  Not sure
>why I was unable to extract information from the totem plugin. Anyway,
>please have a look, as it will make it more clear which formats are
>working with which plugin.  It should be obvious from that list that
>mozilla-plugin-vlc is a really bad option at the moment. :(

Beware that totem-mozilla uses either xine or gstreamer as backend
(sorry if I am repeating myself here - I feel it is still relevant).
Just using default settings might not be enough - multiple packages
fulfill recommends so actual setup also depend on which packages are
installed and in what order they got installed.

At a minimum you should probably note which backend you used while
performing your tests:

   update-alternatives --list totem-default.dir

More clever would be if the script could detect the backend used.

Even better if both alternatives was tested (either manually or by the
script.

Also, it would be quite good if the script could include (as notes at
the end) which recommends and suggest for each of the plugin packages
was satisfied.

Example: totem-mozilla depends on either totem-gstreamer or totem-xine.

totem-gstreamer recommends gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is satisfied by the unofficial
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-full

totem-xine recommends libxine1-ffmpeg

If you want a static rule, then stating that "All recommends are
fulfilled and no non-free or unofficial packages are used" weeds out the
unofficial ffmpeg packages, but it is still ambiguous if xine or
gstreamer is used as backend. You could state that "All recommends are
fulfilled by the primary options..." but I believe that is difficult to
verify, and might even be impossible in some cases.

  - Jonas

- --