Re: future of debian-edu

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 05:03:41PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
>El sáb, 22-11-2008 a las 10:12 +0100, Gerhard Prade escribió:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> i will try to descripe my wishes about skolelinux in this mail.
>>
>> 1. administrationtool
>>
>> i wish a better gui (web) to manage the server and clients. today
>> lwat can handle users, groups and maschines. but i want to have a
>> gui, which manage the other features of the tjener to. maybe the
>> printers, samba with shares and other new features i will descripe in
>> the follow.
>>

>Me too ;). I'm not sure if cipux or lwat or some other tools might be
>used. It will depend on how much work is put on those tools.

CipUX is extendable by design, but each extension needs to be written as
a Perl module, so not the easiest task to do.

Don't know about LWAT.

>> 8. wine
>>
>> i want to use windows software with wine. but first try's show that
>> it only work when the users install this aplications in his home
>> directory. i dont know how skole can do something or how the
>> developers of the winsoftware should do that. we tried it with
>> buddenberg and next we must try it with lernwerkstatt.
>>

>In the past I've just symlinked $HOME/.wine to /usr/share/wine and
>installed apps for all users in /usr/share/wine. But that's something
>you only can do if you're sure the users will accept that someone else
>installs the applications for them. Doing that way the user can not do
>it himself. You need to choose: freedom and individuality, or
>collectivity.

You can also set WINEPREFIX=/usr/share/wine for the shared applications,
i.e. prepend it to the exec line of /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
files for each specific application.

That way users can still invoke wine to run local apps, while offering
shared apps.

  - Jonas

- --