Re: future of debian-edu

El sáb, 22-11-2008 a las 10:12 +0100, Gerhard Prade escribió:
> Hello all,
>
> i will try to descripe my wishes about skolelinux in this mail.
>
> 1. administrationtool
>
> i wish a better gui (web) to manage the server and clients. today lwat
> can handle users, groups and maschines. but i want to have a gui, which
> manage the other features of the tjener to. maybe the printers, samba
> with shares and other new features i will descripe in the follow.

Me too ;). I'm not sure if cipux or lwat or some other tools might be
used. It will depend on how much work is put on those tools.

> 2. pxe-dualboot
>
> i want to boot the clients with pxe, but then i want to choose which
> part i want to start. i want to choose between thinclient or local boot,
> with windows or with linux workstation or the diskless workstation (or a
> rescue linux for the admin)

That's really easy to do: download from rom-o-matic a booting image
acccording to your network card, and add it to the grub menu of your
disk. i.e.: add a new grub entry with:
Title booting from the net
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/the_image_you downloaded

That's all: grub will start and will let you choose between booting from
the net or from the hard disk. Anyway that's something Debian edu can
not assign as the default behaviour, as the "thin" client require a hard
disk to boot.

> 3. image system (fai, xen, linbo)
>
> if any wishes comes from the teachers i want to change the clients, so i
> can deploy new images, maybe new windows or new linux images. i know
> that linbo is in work but not finished now. maybe with fai and xen with
> lvm (robert from germany works on it) we could handle new images for the
> linux or windows (i know it is in work)

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean here. I don't know linbo.

> 4. ocs, nagios
>
> to deploy little changes in the client image i think a tool like ocs is
> usefull and to know in what condition the clients are nagios and ocs
> together are good. both of them should be preconfigured to handle the
> skoleclients

ocs client configuration is in the setup for the Lenny based future
Debian Edu release. The server for ocs is not done and I'm afraid it
won't be done because the package does not support debconf to be
configurated, so it must be configurated manually.

> 5. italc
>
> i want to use italc preconfigured, so the teachers and the admin can
> control the clients/pupils. today we use it with win2k, i heard that it
> works with kde3.5 but i tried it with lenny and backport of kde4 and it
> doesnt work.

No idea about italc, I'm using controlaula that's being included in
lenny too. The requirements to work out of the box is including the
teachers in the teachers group.

> 6. rooms / printers /shares
>
> it would be cool if the teacher in one room can control italc and the
> printer in his room and the internetaccess of the clients in his room. i
> dont understand the netgroups you use today, but i will look for it.
> today my chief develop some cgi in phyton to do that for each room. he
> allowed me to send it on the mailinglist and i hope next week i have
> time to send the scripts. the printeraccess should be controled for each
> room and for goups with the gui, the same for shares in samba/nfs so i
> can make new shares for groups/courses in the gui and them will
> automaticly created

same as for 5): controlaula allows the teacher share/unshare printers
and enable/disabling internet individually or for the whole classroom.

> 7. multimedia in clients
>
> i would be great if the multimediasupport in the linux clients will be
> work out of the box. i mean flash in the browser, sound of the
> thinclients i all applications (rosegarden, cdplayer and so on) because
> we use moodle with flashmovies, movies localy saved on the server, so
> the teacher can open them in the webbrowser and so on

I haven't tested rosegarden, but flash can not work out of the box as
Adobe doesn't allow including the plugin in the cd or dvd. Anyway, after
installing flashplugin-nonfree, it works perfectly. I'm afraid we can
not do much on this field: that's what usually happens when you use
propietary tools.

> 8. wine
>
> i want to use windows software with wine. but first try's show that it
> only work when the users install this aplications in his home directory.
> i dont know how skole can do something or how the developers of the
> winsoftware should do that. we tried it with buddenberg and next we must
> try it with lernwerkstatt.

In the past I've just symlinked $HOME/.wine to /usr/share/wine and
installed apps for all users in /usr/share/wine. But that's something
you only can do if you're sure the users will accept that someone else
installs the applications for them. Doing that way the user can not do
it himself. You need to choose: freedom and individuality, or
collectivity.

> 9. desktop
>
> first i want to have less installed software if i install
> tjener-thinclient-server so i can after that install only thinks i need.
> with this i wish a better menue structure so the links for the software
> are better to find. i know the structure of the menue from debian with
> the menuepoint "debian" but i think that is confusingly for the users.
> maybe it would be better to structure the menue with subjects/lessons (i
> dont know the right word) for example structure it at math, biology,
> languages and so on. i hope you will in future integrate a workaround
> for the instalation of kde4 because i think it looks cool and shows the
> pupils that linux could look better than win vista.

In the Lenny Debian edu release:
install education-menus and put your users in the teachers or students
groups: you'll get a much better menus structure: exactly what you're
asking here

> 10. proxy
>
> is it possibly to manage groups with diffrent acces to the internet, so
> the higher pupils will have more access than the younger one? maybe
> proxy controled with netgroups? so the higher pupils can do more in the
> inet for homeworks?

you can do it using acl's in squid.

> 11. other services
>
> i would be cool if i can control other services integrated in skole with
> a gui for maybe an intern/localy cms, moodle and so on

yes, but in that case we'd need to think much better the interface of
such tool to admin so many different things

> ok, i know that alot of them is in work or will be disscused. but for
> now thats my wishes for a future skolelinux.
> I hope, i am not to greediest but i see the work in schools. Maybe i
> have some wishes forgotten in this mail and i will write it in a next mail.

As you can see, some of the things you're asking have already been done
for Lenny. Some others can not be done generally for everybody,  but you
can set them up easily, and for the rest I'd like to hear more opinions
and ideas about how to do them. I think nobody will oppose to them as
they seem to be nice improvements for our distribution.

Best regards
José L.