Re: r55307 - in trunk/src/debian-edu: debian tasks

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 12:15, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
Note that we need these firmware packages to be on the CD and DVD to
make sure the hardware work.  Using suggests will not make that
happen, which is why I used Depends (Recommends would only make it
show up on the DVD, not the CD).  The alternative is to list them in
the hint files.

Using hint files might make things more transparently but is probably
not needed to make sure that metapackages will remain "clean" of non-free
(see below).

Then you will probably have to implement that alternative, preferedly for a
new kind of cd/dvd, lenny-nonfree-(amd64|i386).

Moving the debian-edu package to non-free is no option, but thats what would
have to be done, if we depend on non-free stuff.

In the current build process of the metapackages ensures that we Depend / Recommend
only software from main.  Every package that is mentioned inside Depends /
Recommends inside a task file and does not exist in the Packages list of
main will be decreased to Suggests - which is correct IMHO.  This is done
by design to make sure that the meta packages can always be in main.  The
process that assembles a Debian Edu CD/DVD is different but it also has
no direct influence on the Debian package pool.  So I would regard this
problem as a non issue.  It might be not really transparent that a non-free
package is mentioned as Depends in a task file - but this can be solved by
adding a comment.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--