Re: Stability of Skole

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org> wrote:

debian-edu (a.k.a. skolelinux) was actually the first linux distribution
to release with an ltsp5 style implementation (we called it MueKow back
then), although it was arguably not very good at the time, and some
people opted to use ltsp 4 with it still- i'm not sure of the numbers of
people still using ltsp4 with skolelinux.

i've personally been working hard on making the LTSP with the soon-to-be
released debian lenny (and thus debian-edu's lenny-based distribution) a
solid, flexible infrastructure for thin-clients, and debian-edu has done
a great job of integrating LTSP.

hope that information is useful, and good luck!

Geemoninny, Vagrant.  This was such a great answer.  Thanks.  I understand.

So - another objection to Skole that I have encountered is that it is stagnant and uses 4 year old KDE packages.  I know about the traditional Debian stable objections.  I thought that as Debian accelerated the last few years, Skole changed with it.

With Skolelinux being a CDD known as debian-edu (is this correct), are the packages consistent with Debian?  In other words, debian-edu is expected to release with Debian Lenny and have the same, newer, software packages, isn't it?  You basically stated this, but I just want to be clear.

Many, many, and, Many thanks for your time, contributions, and cooperation.

live well,
 vagrant

Aloha

--scott