Stability of Skole

Aloha All

I am a long-time lurker and occasional poster to this list.  I've been a bit more involved with the K12LTSP and Edubuntu projects.  Lately things have changed in these projects, and I am trying to understand the future of Skolelinux a bit better.

For NGOs like the one I run in Hawaii, using older computers as thin-clients has been a life changer.  With the introduction of LTSP 5, support for older clients suffered in Edubuntu.  The K12LTSP is only supported in its CentOS flavor, though Warren is working hard to get Fedora up to speed with LTSP5.

It is my understanding that Skolelinux is less secure because you still use LTSP 4.  It is my understanding that by not integrating LTSP 5 you are working with older, less stable code.  It is my understanding that the features offered by LTSP 5 make it an obvious choice.

I do not know the truth, so I am asking you.  I believe that you have done the best job of solving central authentication, ease of installation, and accessibility of usable documentation.  I also believe that I can run a PII 400 with 128mb ram as a thin client with Skolelinux.

I look forward to learning from you.

--scott