Re: Project idea for developer - check and clean up the default menu

El vie, 30-05-2008 a las 16:31 +0900, nigel barker escribió:

> José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> > I've already filled a bug in kde to change edutainment by education.
> > When using education-menu package I removed it to education. In this
> > case ktouch and blinken go to the "Education->Miscellaneous" branch.
> > As you said Miscellaneous is not very intuitive for children. In spanish
> > I translated it to "Varios", maybe in english it should be renamed to
> > "stuff" or something like that. A native english speaker could find a
> > better way
> "various" would work in english also. "Other" might be better.
> I also wonder if the items from Games should  instead be in Education.
> (why is Gcompris in Games, but Blinken in Education, for example?)

With education-menus blinken is in "various" and Gcompris is not in
games, but in in a section I called "Education/Kids", with some other
applications:

        <Menu>
          <Name>Kids</Name>
          <Directory>Kids.directory</Directory>
          <Include>
          <Filename>gcompris.desktop</Filename>
          <Filename>gcompris-edit.desktop</Filename>
          <Filename>kde-ktuberling.desktop</Filename>
          <Filename>kde-tuxpaint.desktop</Filename>
          <Filename>tuxpaint.desktop</Filename>
            <And>
              <Category>Education</Category>
              <Category>KidsGame</Category>
            </And>
          </Include>
       </Menu> <!-- End Kids -->

> > On December I sent to this list
> > the link http://linex.educarex.es/menus/ where videos of kde and gnome
> > before and after education-menus is installed are shown. Reading this
> > mail thread, I feel that nobody has tested or watched them :(
> >

> I watched them!

:-) , I forgot to say those videos are recorded on etch. On Lenny there
is some small improvements.

> I have another menu complaint. In gnome, the separate menu for admin and
> preferences is quite good. In KDE we have four sections, of which  I
> always have to look through at least two before I find what I want. I am
> referring to "settings", "system", "utilities", and another "settings".
> Utilities is actually quite sensible, except that konsole isn't in
> there. The others are just frustrating. This is probably a plain KDE
> issue rather than Debian Edu, right?

Well, maybe it's a never ending question, as it depends on every person:
I don't like the way gnome does it: you need quite often to explore four
menu branches (System tools, Utilities, System/preferences and
System/administration) to find where the damn configuration is... In
LinEx we developed a controlcenter classified by categories (Screen,
network, external devices, etc..) to replace the Gnome menu ;-)
Anyway, as you said, that's something you should complain at KDE devel.

Cheers.
José L.