Re: Combining Skolelinux with 1-to-1?

Dear Maria,

thank you for your reply.

Am Mittwoch 23 April 2008 schrieb Maria Eriksson:
> Guten tag Ralf,
>
> Thank you for trying to answer my questions. We want to build a new
> way of using computers in our schools and so far we haven't decided
> that we want one personal computer to each student. 1-to-1 is often
> connected with Mac, but we could also use PC:s (we haven't decided
> anything yet).

Okay, it is always wise to get informed before making decisions ;)

> If we for example use Mac, iLife is a good start for the students
> (elementary school). Now we'd like to see for possibilites to combine
> for example iLife and Skolelinux. I guess that it wouldn't be

Does anybody here know iLive? Comparable to gcompris? XO-Live? So, you
are an elementary schools with kids aged 5 - 12 ?

> difficult technically, but do you think that it would add something
> for the students? I still don't totally understand what Skolelinux
> offers.

This might be the crucial question. Skolelinux is not only a Custom
Debian Distribution; it also
- offers educational software on its workstations;
- preconfigures your network and eases rollouts.
- gathers international users and developers who are concerned about
  education.

> Do you work in a school enviroment and if, in which ways do you use
> Linux? I'm looking for the pedagogic angle of this solution.

This angle is most important. Indeed, I teach in a comprehensive school
with pupils aged 10 to 20. So we cover nearly all levels with Linux
(one room). I must admit that Skolelinux enables us to run one room
with Windows, too (Samba is the corresponding service). This is a
concession to my colleagues.

> So many questions...

Teachers like us know that questions are the source of any
knowledge... ;)

Best luck and keep asking please.
Ralf

P.S.: Could you please try to switch off HTML formatting?