Re: [slx-www-int] Combining Skolelinux with 1-to-1?

Hej Maria,

welcome to Skolelinux. I am forwarding this mail to the developers' list
because it has the wides technical knowledge.

Am Montag 21 April 2008 schrieb Maria Eriksson:
> I'm new to Skolelinux and would like to know if anyone of you uses it
> together with 1-to-1 (every student has their own laptop in an open
> network)? Is it practical to combine these? Pros and cons? Would be
> really happy if you could help me with this question.

I never heard about this project here in Germany. In order to assess
possible cooperation, it might be necessary to know more about
compulsary components here:

- Are those laptops running a specific operation system or is it
  possible to migrate them to 100% free software?
- Apart from Internet over WLAN/Wifi: are there structural services
  in your network? (specific IP range, user accounts, web server...)

Of course it is possible to install the standalone profile on every
notebook to provide the whole range of free educational software while
abandoning the risk of virus infections.

The full luxus of a Skolelinux network, however, will only be
experienced if you include the main server (named "Tjener") with its
LDAP user base, web services and dozens of other tools aboard.

Kind regards
Ralf Gesellensetter, Bielefeld