Re: Apt repository interoperability, again

Hi Herman,

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:55:49PM +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:12:25 +0200, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez
> <jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net> wrote:
>
>> El dom, 20-04-2008 a las 20:37 +0200, Herman Robak escribió:
>
>>> You see, I'm quite embarrassed by the Debian switcharoo:
>>> 2) Answer complaints about lacking the latest and greatest by
>>>   pointing to Sid (the latest) or unofficial repositories
>>>   (patent-encumbered stuff)

the Debian manual tells beginning users to use only stable. If someone
one tells them otherwise, they are wrong.

>>>   For many users (2) is unavoidable.  And when you do that,
>>> you are on your own.  Not many gentle safety features are
>>> offered, just a bunch of Really Powerful and Fully Tweakable
>>> options for the proper expert.

Yes. Debian expects its users to read the basic Debian manual which says
if you use testing or unstable, it will put the burden on the user to
fix any problems. You have to invoke root privs before you install
things, it means 'think before you act. you are the sys-admin´.

Debian also has mailing lists, irc and also private consultants to
consult. Most of these are free of cost and usually friendly. You could
pay apple or microsoft $100/incident or you can just ask here for free.

In the worst case, you can use ´backports' for some more updated
packages which are mostly Debian maintained but its still at your own
descretion. And the multimedia distro is also mostly debian maintained
and good for most folks.

Debian spends 18 months to produce a quality enterprise-ready distro
which is what folks should use if they want 24/7 hassel-free software.

-k

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|