Re: first programming language

El Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 01:03:51PM +0200, roberto va escriure:
> hello
> one of the young guys (13 y.o.) i am teaching to as far as regards
> math and physics repeatedly asks me to introduce him to the world of
> programming (and linux in particular) whose he is very fond of ...
>
> i'd like to ask you which programming language you think it is more
> advisable in this situation

I agree with a lot of the options that people has given you, currently I would
use Python followed by lower level languages like C or C++ once the student is
confortable with the basic concepts.

Depending on the age and interest of the student and the languages you plan to
teach I can also recommend you Guido van Robot (http://gvr.sf.net/) or RUR-PLE
(http://rur-ple.sf.net/) for the first lessons.

A GvRng package is available on Debian (I'm the maintainer... ;), if you want
to take a look at the lessons they are also packaged or you can view them
online on:

  http://gvr.sourceforge.net/lessons/rfrank/

Greetings,

  Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69