Re: Cron <builder@administrator> nice make -s -C $HOME/src/debian-edu/src/build/CD-administrator check-and-build

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:

   1. Obtain the version number of the tarball that should be created.
   2. Obtain the target distribution that should be verified for the
      packages that are available in the dist.  Packages that are
      available will be turned to "Recommends", those who are not available
      inside "main" of the target dist are turned to "Suggest".

Ok, thanks for the explaination.

All the above happens on the developers machine, before uploading the package,
right?

Yes.  It happens _even_ before building the package, but in the process
of building the source of the package.

I hoped this becane clear in
http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/ap-DevelDescription.en.html#s-cdd-dev
but obviousely it did not.  Any patch to enhance the doc to make this
clear?

Honest answer: I havent read that since before Merida. :-/

I did not expected anything else but an honest answer from you. ;-)
The fact might mean two things:

  1. Either people just don't read docs.
  2. The doc is not attractive enough to be read.

If it is the second I would be willing to work.  One thing might be
to split up it into a user-doc and a developer-doc.  Users should be
informed about the general idea, while developers want to know the
technical stuff.  I tried to do this separately in the Appendix
sections but the border line is very blured.  What do you think?

There is no distribution "UNSTABLE" and thus no distribution where
you can verify that the packages in the tasks file really exist - which
is the main purpose of auto generating the debian/control file.

I wonder why this is run on the buildd.

It just does not.  Your statement that this would happen was just wrong.
The problem was completely unrelated to package building but instead caused
by a CD building script at a host on skolelinux.no.

Currently I'm offline otherwise I'd read the cdd-dev-doc now.

Try  "apt-get install cdd-doc"  in case you have a local mirror
or go to the doc directory inside the cdd source package in your
SVN checkout and just do "make" which produces HTML pages.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de