Re: first programming language

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/8, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez <jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net>:
>

>  >  El mar, 08-04-2008 a las 13:28 +0200, Miriam Ruiz escribió:
>
>  The good thing about Python or similar, depending on the child's
>  attitude towards learning, is that it's a real language that it is
>  really used for real things (games, web development, system
>  administration, science). For a teenager, even a young one, it
>  encourages you to know that you're using real tools instead of
>  just-for-children toys. At least it's how I felt then. The best option
>  might depend on the children. I'm not sure I would give a 13 yo a
>  system developed for an 8 yo, anyway. He can read it as "I don't
>  consider you adult enough". In any case, Python is not that difficult.
>
>  I would personally select 2 or 3 options, show their pros and cons to
>  the children (for a 13 yo, that is, I wouldn't do that for an 8 yo)
>  and let them choose themselves, anyway, explaining clearly what can be
>  expected from each of them in terms of effort and results. Squeak
>  might be one of the options too, maybe Gambas would also be a
>  possibility.
>
>  Greetings,
>  Miry

thank you very much !
a lot of useful information... :)

i'll show him a couple of choices or so, between Python, tweak and
scratch and let him show what basic things he can achieve using the
one or the other

i think the learning curve should produce enough satisfaction to
proceed towards more difficult things

BTW: if the experiment gets good results, i'll try to extend it to
other students even because i'll be working at schools for next years;
and probably i'll start writing up some tutorial/book if you think it
may be useful for you

--
roberto
OS: GNU/Linux, Debian