Re: first programming language

El mar, 08-04-2008 a las 13:28 +0200, Miriam Ruiz escribió:
> 2008/4/8, roberto <roberto03@gmail.com>:
> > hello
> >  one of the young guys (13 y.o.) i am teaching to as far as regards
> >  math and physics repeatedly asks me to introduce him to the world of
> >  programming (and linux in particular) whose he is very fond of ...
> >
> >  i'd like to ask you which programming language you think it is more
> >  advisable in this situation
> >
> >  if the question is too general, please ask me more details
> >
> >  i will use the situation also to inntroduce him to the debian world as well :)
>
> If he's really willing to make some effort to learn, I'd probably go
> for Python. If he's interested in developing physical simulations,
> games, or something like that, he might want to go for PyGame, while
> Python can also be used for system administration, and it has a clean
> and nice syntax and a more or less easy learning curve.

I think that for that age Tweak (http://tweakproject.org/, a Squeak
evolution) or Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/) are the best option.
They are really powerful graphical languages that will let him
understand many of the usual abstractions when programming. It will let
him doing very powerful things without needing to fight against typos or
wasting time searching where he forgot a ;. Scratch is specially thought
for teenagers with a lot of "attractive" graphical and sounds effects.

Even e-Toys on Squeak can still be usefull as a first step, as it's
thought for people of more than 6 years old.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
José L.