Merge LWAT and DHCP machine objects in LDAP?

With the introduction of DHCP configuration in LDAP, we also
introduced a new kind of machine object in LDAP.  The way our LDAP
currently is structured these machine objects are not seen by LWAT,
and machine objects created by LWAT are not seen by the DHCP server.
Someone should look into merging the two.

I suspect the DHCP server can be told to look for dhcpHost objects in
the entire LDAP three, and then we can extend LWAT to create and
maintain them.  But I am not sure, and someone need to test if this is
possible.

We could also write a script to create machine objects automatically
in LDAP based on the information collected by sitesummary.  This way,
new machines could automatically show up in LDAP and the admin only
need to assign the new machine to groups, instead of having to track
down IP and MAC addresses.

One issue to look at is if it is possible to allow completely
automatic update in LDAP using a sitesummary hook.  If that is
possible, new hosts could show up almost immediately after
installation.

Another thing to keep in mind is how machine objects will work if we
move the DNS server to fetch its configuration from LDAP too.

Any volunteers to work on this?  It should be solved before we release
the Lenny based Skolelinux version.

Happy hacking,