Re: Running debian-edu-fsautoresize automatically on hosts selected using LDAP?

Hi,

On Sunday 06 July 2008 23:46, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The idea is that one should add the hostname of the host in question
> (FQDN) in the fsautoresize-hosts netgroup, and this should be enough
> to activate the cron job on that host.  Is this a good way to do it?

Sounds like to me.

> The script will syslog every time it (try to) extend a file system, so
> the changes will not happen in complete silence, but we should
> probably try to get a nagios warning sent as well to allow the events
> to be reported to those that want to know about them.  I suspect it
> will also trigger an email from cron when it happen, but want to quite
> down the script to make sure that do not happen unless some unexpected
> error happen.

I definitly want to see a syslog entry for when it runs (with success or not),
too, so that it shows up in logcheck too.

> I'm not sure how often the resizing should be done, but propose once
> per hour to have reasonable response time when a disk is filling up.

Not sure how invasive the check is, but maybe even every 15min?

> The debian-edu-fsautoresize script uses the rules in
> debian-edu-fsautoresizetab when deciding how to handle the different
> file systems, and the current rules look like this.
>
>   # Example configuration for fsautoresize on Debian Edu.
>   # Override these values in /etc/fsautoresizetab
>   #
>   # regex             minfree  max extendby
>   /.*                      10% 20g 10%
>   /usr                     10% 10g defaults

Today (as opposed to some years ago) I dont think /usr should be on a seperate
partition anymore. I know about the benefits of having partitions per
service, but with todays terrabyte drives that has become a lot less useful
and more partitions mean more cognitive stress for system administrators.

>   /var                     10% 10g defaults
>   /var/spool/squid         10% 40g defaults

is squid configured to use that much space? the default is 256mb...

regards,
	Holger