Power saving by turning clients off at night

After a few requests to save power, I have made a package to enable
clients to turn themself off in the evening when unused (from 16:00,
and try again every hour until it is unused), and turn themselves on
again using either nvram-wakeup if that is supported, or using
wake-on-lan from a server.

This is just an early draft, and it need testing to get it working properly.
It can be downloaded from

  http://people.skolelinux.no/~pere/debian/packages/etch/shutdown-at-night_0.1_all.deb

I am a bit unsure if the wake-on-lan stuff is correct.  To wake up
machines, create a file /etc/shutdown-at-night/clients on the server
with one line per client, with the IP address asd MAC address separate
by space, like this:

  10.11.12.13 00:FF:00:FF:00:FF

Then on the server, run /usr/lib/shutdown-at-night/wakeupclients to
start up all the clients in the list, with a 30 second delay between
each client.

The code for this package is in SVN,

  svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-edu/trunk/src/shutdown-at-night

More work is needed on the wake-on-lan bit, both on server and client.
My plan is to use sitesummary information to generate
/etc/shutdown-at-night/clients on the server.

Any volunteers to test this?

happy hacking,