Re: proposal: move etch-work on debian-edu packages into a branch

Hi,

On Monday 11 February 2008 20:26, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> I've a proposal for working on lenny.

Actually we've discussed this before on this list... ;)

> Since lenny ist atm not really working/usable. Since etch is more or less
> stable I would like to suggest to switch the complete developement into a
> branch. This would allow to merge things from etch to lenny if this is
> needed. But it would allow to work on lenny without breaking etch.
>
> What do you say?
>
> @ftpmasters: Are there any impacts from moving everything
> from ./trunk/src/* into ./branch/etch/src/* ?

Well, this is not really an ftpmaster issue at all :) The impact of this
drastic move would be some more space needed on alioth, which is not the real
problem I see with this proposal, though.

Confusion / unneedded work is the problem I see with this proposal. Many
packages can stay the same for lenny and etch _at_the_moment,so there is no
need to copy ./trunk/src/* into an etch branch.

Instead we should - as previously discussed - create an etch branch for
individual packages on demand. For example: you introduce an etch
incompatible change in trunk/src/sitesummary? Then you create
branch/etch/src/sitesummary...

We should probably track somewhere, which packages have been branched for
etch - I suggest to use http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Etch for
this :-)

regards,
	Holger