Re: has someone tried this?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:30:50PM +0000, Ismael Farfán Estrada wrote:

>En muchos lugares, tomar fotos es visto como una costumbre vil y reprendible
>
>> The JrSX lacks a math coprocessor, which is unsupported with all
>> recent official Debian kernels. You will need to compile your own
>> kernel, patched with unofficial math emulation patches.
>>
>> The JrSX is reported[1] to not support PXE network booting (but
>> possibly the alternative RPL - I maintain an RPL daemon for Debian
>> and am happy to help with that if need be). The Jr may have same
>> limitation as they probably share similar bios routines.
>>
>> The JrSX uses XGI Volari Z9s graphics chip which is currently
>> unsupported by Debian AFAIK. The Jr uses SiS 550 which should work.
>>
>> The ethernet driver for the JrSX was reported to not work with DHCP.
>> Maybe works with more recent kernel - but then again, most recent
>> kernels may not yet have working FPU emoulation patches.
>>

>Ok, that sounds like a lot of work for someone that just is starting
>Could any budy recomend me a cost effective thin client to purchase?

VIA machines are not the cheapest. But they are quite popular, and one
of the reasons is that they are easy to use (read: fairly well supported
drivers).

As a beginners thin client I'd recommend either an old one, like EPIA
ML6000EAG or one of the cheapest of the newer ones, like EPIA
LN10000EAG.

Even if the newer one is more expensive, the RAM might be cheaper for
that one. Especially if you want larger RAM, to experiment with running
as a "half-thick" client (running diskless but executing some or all
applications locally).

>In the spec table of the jr doesn't say anything about the not having a
>floating pont unit so mabe is a better option, but it says it can boot
>from lan, mabe the haven't tasted so well.

JrSX lack FPU. Jr has one, I believe.

JrSX was reported to not support PXE - but possibly support other
automated LAN boot methods like RPL. Jr may support PXE, I don't know.

>> If your plan is a few machines, I would recommend something better
>> tested (personally I use VIA Eden motherboards), but if you like the
>> challenge and/or plan to roll out many machines, it makes sense to
>> try if the Jr has enough horse power, and if not, then if the JrSX is
>> possible to hack to a working state.
>>

>For the VIA Eden, do you build the client buying everything? or are
>there prebuild thin clients with that

I am not sure if I understand your question, but I will try...

VIA Epia is a series of low-power all-in-one motherboards. Some of them
are underclocked and the CPU fan is replaced with bigger pasive cooling.
Some of those fanless motherboards are rebranded as "VIA Epia", some of
them labeled with a capital "E" in the name, while some are simply sold
as "VIA EPIA, without fan".

I buy a motherboard, a RAM chip and a case. And boot with PXE. Works
fine with official Debian kernels (older ones with 486 kernels, newest
ones with 686 kernels).

The motherboard shape follow a semi-standard called Mini-IPX, but fits
into standard ATX variant cases soot, so cheapest solution is to use a
standard case, but more elegant (and expensive) is compact cases like
the compact Morex 3688[1] or the more flexible (read: can fit a 3.5"
disk) Morex 2688 and Travla 138. That last one is my current favorite.

Search Google or your local (well-assorted) computer dealers for "itx"
to find both motherboards and (if you want that luxury) custom cases.

  - Jonas

[1] http://www.morex.com.tw/products/productdetail.php?fd_id=37

- --
Jonas Smedegaard   <jonas@jones.dk>   http://www.jones.dk/~jonas/
IT-guide dr. Jones    <dr@jones.dk>   http://dr.jones.dk/    +45 40843136
Debian GNU/Linux    <js@debian.org>   http://www.debian.org/
GnuPG(1024D/C02440B8): 9A98 C6EB C098 9ED0 3085  ECA9 9FB0 DB32 C024 40B8