Re: has someone tried this?

El mar, 29-01-2008 a las 19:51 +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez
escribió:
> El mar, 29-01-2008 a las 16:20 +0000, Ismael Farfán Estrada escribió:
> > Hi list,
> > I want to buy some thin clients and I'm considering the
> > MicroClient JrSX / jr
> > of NorhTec
> >
> > Has someone used them?
> > I don't mind believing the thing they say in the page
> > but a second opinion is always good
> >

> According to the person who develop TCOS it works under Debian (and he
> uses it with TCOS)[1]. The only problem is the sound driver sis7019 that
> you'll have to compile[2] as it is not included in the kernel. So, if
> works under linux and with TCOS you can assume it works with Debian &
> LTSP 5.0.
>
> Regards.
>
> José L.
>
> [1] http://soleup.eup.uva.es/mario/post/1/494
> [2]http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=sis7019

Hi.

MicroClient works ok but it's a very slowly thin client.
(200 Mhz isn't enought to boot a 2.6 linux kernel)

* Video works ok with vesa driver, I don't try with sis

* USB is 1.1, works ok.

* Some versions of MicroClient have a PS/2 connector to attach a
keyboard and mouse to single connector, if reseller not send this cable
you need USB mouse.

* Internal 44 pin IDE conector (can attach an laptop hdd or disk on
module)

* CF reader (works, as a second IDE device)

* Sound is very hard to make work, but as J.L. Redrejo says with TCOS
works ok.

server -> pulseaudio -> thin client pulseaudio-> thin client esound -->
OSS driver

PulseAudio don't work with sis7019 and we have to put esound-oss in the
middle.

As far I know, sound don't work in LTSP, because don't work with 2 sound
servers at the same time.

Mentors sis7019 package is obsolete, with TCOS I have a
tcos-extra-modules package with some modules (unionfs, squashfs, cdfs,
aufs, and sis7019)

In recent kernel versions will need extra patches with different
kernels:

http://trac.tcosproject.org/browser/trunk/tcos-extra-modules/patches

The easy way to get module is installing tcos-extra-modules-x.x.x:

http://www.tcosproject.org/pool/main/t/tcos-extra-modules/

Greetings

--
http://soleup.eup.uva.es/mariodebian