Re: Advice on elementary school environment

Hi DebianEdu,

first, thanks for all the advice I got.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 04:13:13PM +0100, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Montag 29 Oktober 2007 schrieb Michael Hanke:
> > [ I'm not subscribed (yet), please keep me CC'ed ]
>
> Dear Michael,
>
> thank you for your intereset in free educational software - and welcome
> to Debian Edu (in case you didn't know: there is also a mailinglist in
> German).
I know, but English is fine.

> From what I heard, Debian will very well run on old machines as well -
> but you might consider replace KDE or Gnome by a lighter desktop
> environment (such as IceWM). There is also educational live CDs - but
> taken the weak configuration of your school's machines, installation
> would be a wise thing to do. How many disk space is there BTW? I
> recommend a minimum of 4 GB for a full workstation. But if you drop
> Openoffice and KDE, you will get along with 3 GB.
>
> What other plans are there? How about internet usage? As you start
> setting up a proxy and possibly even user accounts why not take the
> 1 hour to install a main server including squid?
>
> And if you want to save N-1 hours installing your N computers you may
> consider using the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP). Thus, all
> desktops look alike and any additional application needs only to be
> installed once.
What I learned so far the LTSP is the way to go. As there is very little
money to spend (if any at all), it is best invested in a single machine.

I hope to improve the hardware situation by organizing some donations --
will see if that works.

Concerning the desktop environment: As we are talking about 6-11
year-olds I don't see the need for a full-blown desktop. ATM I think
a simple screen, where the children can choose from a number of apps
should be enough.

I'd be happy to hear about other oppions on a suiteable
environment for children of that age. At the moment my daughter uses
XFCE to start her tuxpaint and she is happy with it ;-)

Internet-Access: There is a DSL line and it is used to let them surf the
net. I really want to learn more about clever filtering of net traffic.
I hope to find something that enables the teacher to deliver a message
like: 'There is a lot on the internet, but also a lot of crap.'

ATM the policy/capability seems to be that the children are told that
if they see porn, they should not look at it -- somehow suboptimal....

> P.S.: May I ask 2 questions myself? Whereabout is that school (region),
Sure, the school is in Halle (Saale), Sachsen-Anhalt, but concerning
financial or technological support I guess it is no different than any
other third-world country. Hmm, I have to apologize: There are probably
a number of such countries that do better than Germany in this respect
:(

> and how did you find Debian-Edu?
I cannot really remember. I know it for a long time (knowing like:
knowing it is there), but I haven't had any use for it. But now things
seem to screem for it ;)

I'm working with Debian for a long time now, but usually my focus is on
neuro-imaging software.

You can find me here:

http://www.debian.org/devel/people

Thanks again,