Re: roadmap editing

RalfGesellensetter skrev:
> Thanks for sharing his agenda:
>
>>  On the command-line:
>>    smbpasswd -a root
>>  In lwat:
>>    Add a machine account for the machine to joined
>>      (without any "$" in the account-name)
>>    check the "Samba host" checkbox
>>  On windows-workstation:
>>    Join the machine the normal way, using the root account.
>
> Just for clarification: Does it mean, that I have to do all of these
> three steps in a row? Any machine needs first to be added using lwat,
> only then I can join from the client (but I still need to follow that
> 3rd step?).

Yes, for now you need to add the machine using lwat, or some otherway (I
 usually prepare the machines from the command-line, using
 ldapsearch | some loop | ldapadd

But that's me.

for a later version of lwat, it's planed to implement another way of
adding multiple hosts, see http://bzz.no/lwat/trac/trac.cgi/ticket/10

> And what kind of machine name would that be? Is it still the case that I
> need to define hostnames locally on the machine - or do XP clients obey
> name rules given to the dhcpd server? Does case matter?

Give them the same name as you give them in XP. I think he named his
host "myws" or something like that.

>> I've experienced that even if one rewrite smb.conf to use the script
>> smbaddclient.pl, things wont work. but I'm not sure why.
>
> Maybe we should ask Mr. Murray of MS: He was so affirmative towards FOSS
> in BBC's "Codebreakers" documentary. *scnr*
>> He did not need to do no change at all in smb.conf.
>
> Maybe not as for joining clients, but some people suggest at least one
> public share additional to H:\ (home). The easiest and wides approach
> to follow such desires was to share /tmp (or /tmp/samba) and make it a
> net drive "T:\". Other schools use r/o shares P:/ for portable apps and
> other centrally installed programmes. Also classwide shares are used in
> several settings. I doubt if we will ever find one model matching any
> flavours - but it could be made easier to have class homes.

Yes, lets collect all driveletters that people use and add them all into
our smb.conf :)

> Yet another point discussed was profiles (mandatory like KDE kiosk,
> invisible, not synced to local hard discs). Alas, I am quite bad in
> guessing as it comes to Redmond's opaque policies.

This is something you have to set up at the WS, as far as I know. Sorry,
the redmond OS is not exactly prepared to be a networked ws.

> Kind regards,
> and as a conclusion: try to write at least 3 words with any wiki edit.

I guess I'll stop edit wikis then....

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/