Re: KLIK - Userspace Software Installation

Hi,

On Saturday 13 October 2007 13:30, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Using
> such software packages or means of integration, will clearly remove any
> kind of right to blame Skolelinux/Debian Edu for possible harm. (These
> applications are not supported at all by the Skolelinux team as service
> provider)

Did you ever read /etc/motd? Let me quote the relevant part:

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

You never had the right to blame Debian Edu for anything! :-)

> selected, many apps are Debian packages. As I got it, KLIK apps run
> from a loop device contained in an image file - thus not interfering
> with the local file system at all.

So you cannot access your home dir from klik applications?

> (iii) Compared to third party software like Acrobat Reader, I'd call

I wonder how you compare the security of one piece of software to 380542
packages - thats the number of available software thru klik according to it's
homepage.

380542 packages - can you spell remote exploit? And spell local root exploit?

> P.S.:
>
> nice quote for our database ;) (What others might get from it: Freedom
> is a nightmare).

I'm not gonna respond to this.

> Sorry, for that - but I remember other statements that protecting youth
> from inappropriate web pages by means of squid is not acceptable as it
> cuts the freedom of free software (roughly spoken).

I proposed a way to gain/preserve that freedom to test+use applications:
virtual machines.

And, as you should know, freedom is not the same as freedom. The freedom to
steal your breakfast is not as important as the freedom of expression. So
limiting the freedoms of using a computer is not the same as limiting the
freedom of uncensored access to information.

Similarly, my freedom to play loud music might be limited by your freedom to
enjoy silence. So limiting your freedom to run arbiturary applications to
protect me and my data (actually not only "me". Every other user of that
computer!) is a worthwhile tradeoff in my opinion.

regards,
	Holger

P.S.: BTW, I havent seen an ITP or RFP for klik...