Re: KLIK - Userspace Software Installation

Hi,

On Thursday 11 October 2007 23:43, Herman Robak wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:30:31 +0200, RalfGesellensetter <rgx@gmx.de>
> >> thanks for your warning reply. I take it quite serious (and actually
> >> have been cautious before). However I wonder what difference KLIK does
> >> make compared to a
> >>
> >> apt-get source myfavorite
>
>   I forgot one detail...  You just did apt-get source! [...]

You can indeed lock down access and permissions very far with SELinux and
integrate that nicely with KDEs kiosk mode - the question is, how much
freedom do we want to allow, how much should we? And how to remove freedoms
for exam situations or similar.

So, why do I say "security nightmare" to klik? Because it provides freedom,
where it's not needed and posses an uncontrollable risk to every users data:
running software from many untrusted sources in your normal work environment
(think /home/ with all mails and your work) is really risky.

A much better approach to test software is to use virtual machines like
virtualbox or qemu.

regards,
	Holger