Re: KLIK - Userspace Software Installation

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:30:31 +0200, RalfGesellensetter <rgx@gmx.de> wrote:

Am Mittwoch 10 Oktober 2007 22:22 schrieb Herman Robak:
  Does Klik do any sandboxing?  And which part enforces the
sandboxing; the system support binaries (whatever they are) or the
package itself?

Dear Herman,

thanks for your warning reply. I take it quite serious (and actually
have been cautious before). However I wonder what difference KLIK does
make compared to a

apt-get source myfavorite
cd myfavorite/src
./configure
make
bin/myfavorite

in terms of security

 Not much, technically speaking...

(apart from hiding this mode of installation away from most users)?

 This difference is more significant than your wording suggests.
When it comes to social engineering, the difference between...

1) "Cool stuff!  Click HERE!"
and
2) "Cool stuff!  Type these commands in an xterm..."

...means a lot.  The former requires a little curiosity, and nothing else.
The latter requires more motivation, and takes longer.  Many naive users
will be deterred by the hassle.

 Installation of software CAN be too easy,
so slowing it down may be a feature.

--
Herman Robak