Re: partitions and groups

[Holger Levsen]
>[Nigel Barker]
>> On the howto wiki, there is a recommendation to not have partitions over
>> 20G.
>
> Huh?! Where is that written exactly?

In <URL:http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/HowTo>,
under 'Resize Partitions'.  I wrote it.  As the partitions become
large fsck time grow exponentially larger, and backup restore times
grows linearly.  Very large partitions will give you problems in
emergencies.

>> In that case, how do you have more home space? Is it by creating
>> home1, home2, etc.? Is there any documentation for how to do that, and
>> how to get users' homes onto those different partitions?

Yes, adding home1 ... homeN is the intended way to do it.

> I _guess_ it could be ment to use the autoresizing feature which is
> described in
> http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/HowTo - when
> you use it, the partitions automatically grow bigger (if there is
> space to grow).

Only up to the recommended upper limit.

Happy hacking,