Integration of other Linux-machines into Skolelinux network

Hallo,

first of all I wish all readers of this list to have had a peacefull
Merry Christmas Time.

I want to connect an Ubuntu 7.10 machine as a workstation to an actual
Tjener 3.0r1. When I searched for a Howto, I found an old description
from Klaus Ade in the german wiki.
http://wiki.skolelinux.de/Skolelinux/Ubuntu It was from a time, befor
Sarge was stable. I followed the way of the Howto and replaced the
files from an actual Debian Edu Workstation to the Ubuntu machine, etc.

Afte a reboot of the Ubuntu machine, the Ubuntu Linux started without
the x-server. From the console I was not able to log in neither as
local root or user, nor as a tjener user. After some time came a
timeout message.

So something is missing or wrong in my hack with the old discription.

Did anybody know a way, or had done so, to connect an actual linux
machine like debian etch/lenny , ubuntu, knoppix, suse10.3 to work as a
workstation withe an actual Tjener?

I wish to all of you a Happy new Year and much success with
Debian Edu in 2008.

--
Regards
Harald Poppek