Re: need help!

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:46:32 +0100, Ronny Aasen <ronny@skolelinux.no> wrote:

Herman Robak wrote:
 Maybe installing X but not starting it by default could be worthwhile.
If the user chooses "Intro" from the F1 menu, X can be started to lead
the user on a tour.  Just a suggestion ...

installing packages that are not needed on a server is not wise. not in a security nor in a administrative setting.

 They could be uninstalled once it was verified that the server indeed
was functioning as a pure server.  Until then, X may indeed be "needed"
for certain meanings of the word.

And another good reason to not have X is that it is very clear for the admin that this machine is not suposed to be used as a desktop.

 That is not "very clear" at all.  In fact it is very obscure to the
newcomer, who may not understand what you mean by "desktop" in this
context and why this is important.

 Assuming the admin is new to Linux, you'd better wait to a later
stage in the roll-out to make the "no graphics on the server" point.
Otherwise, you have to insist on admins reading docs on a separate
machine (or on paper!).  That was OK in the 90s, but Linux doesn't
have to be that way anymore.

 If we want to foster wide adoption of Skolelinux, the threshold for
trying out and installing it must be pretty low.  "Instant gratification"
like the boot-and-run user experience of live distros is a Good Thing,
in my opinion.

I agree that it would be nice with a welcome message with a link to the Getting started documentation. since it seams it's hard to get users to read it without prodding them repeatadly.

 Why can't the OS have the Getting Started embedded in it?  Computers are
very good at storing and presenting data, in an interactive fashion.
I know it puts more work on the developer's shoulders.  But in the big
scheme of things it costs less man-hours, making the World a better place
and all that jazz ;-)

--
Herman Robak