Re: need help!

Herman Robak wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:59:04 +0100, Håvard Korsvoll <korsvoll@skulelinux.no> wrote:

Fredrik hulbekkmo wrote:

    i am done instaling skolelinux but when i start my computer i get
    a message that says: /debian DNU/linux 3.0 tjener. intern tty2/
    /tjener intern login:
    /what shal i do now?
A pdf version is also available from our maintainer server:
http://maintainer.skolelinux.no/debian-edu-doc/en/release-manual.pdf
Norwegian translated version:
http://maintainer.skolelinux.no/debian-edu-doc/nb/release-manual.pdf

I think most of your answers are found in this document.
If you need more help, you need to describe what profile you have installed, the system you are installing it on (server, workstation, laptop, vmware), and preferable what you intend to use it for (just so we know what you are looking for).

The messages you see is the login prompt you will see if you install the «server» profile only. Then you don't install the X-server and you don't have a graphical user interface. For installing the X-server you need to add the «workstation» or «thin client server» profile as well.

 But is that what he is supposed to on a server in production, or is this
advice only provided for testing purposes?

 I think the question/anwer above illustrates that the server needs a
welcome message.  Something along the line of...
"If you just installed this system, you should type 'root' after
the login prompt, and then press Enter."

 Pressing F1 should ideally give a help page, even if the user has
not logged in.

 Maybe installing X but not starting it by default could be worthwhile.
If the user chooses "Intro" from the F1 menu, X can be started to lead
the user on a tour.  Just a suggestion ...

installing packages that are not needed on a server is not wise. not in a security nor in a administrative setting. And another good reason to not have X is that it is very clear for the admin that this machine is not suposed to be used as a desktop.

I agree that it would be nice with a welcome message with a link to the Getting started documentation. since it seams it's hard to get users to read it without prodding them repeatadly.

Ronny