old documentation on wiki.debian.org

2007/11/4, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>:
> Besides that all of them are outdated (dealing with sarge), they also overlap,

Same days ago I tried to find out documentation do link to same
teacher and firends
but It is pratically impossible find it out, the wiki is too much disordered.

EXAMPLE OF DOCUMENTATION RESEARCH:
Fist, on the home page, the "Documentation" is a small link in the bottom.

If I don't notice the quick link in the bottom I would "logically"
search documentation in the link "get help" and then "free help".
Once there, I can't find any documentation.

So I would try to go back and search on the "frequqntly asked
question" and search for documentation ...but there are many faq and
none clearly about documentation.

After that I would look in "get started" menu and there I find the
link for the WIKI.
There I find usefull information about the mailing lists.
I also find "learn more" that seems to be what I was looking for: same
documentation.
But it's a mess!!! No distinction between debian-edu verions, no
logical group af arguments. Nothing that can realy make me "get
started".

Ok, now I will go back to the home page and notice the quick link
"Documentation".
After clicked on it I see "Manuals" :-), seem nice...but it's empty.
Then I will go to "Howto" in the previus page bit I read
"A list of how to solve different (debian-edu developers) problems"
(and I notice now that I also edited a wiki that should be reserved to
the developers).

Shortly, the debian-edu documentation is the main bug of it. I think
it's a great distribution and a good documentation will make it shine!

I suggest:
1-create a visible link on the home page called "Documentation".
2-the documentation will be ONLY wiki (that means eliminate the empty "Manuals")
 and remove "Howto" from the documentation if they are for the developer.
3-for each version of debian-edu create a NEW WIKI knowing that means
repeat part of documentation in the future version (this is the price
for a good order).
 To reorder the old documentation (sarge and before) I tink is a big
effort and with doubting resaults. I suggest to start new and clear
documentation for terra and do not use too much time to reorder the
old one.
4-actualy create the terra WIKI TREE, EMPTY but with a good and
ordered logic, so also the users can help to mantain it.
5-the first braches of the new TERRA WIKI TREE should be "the user target":
TERRA-Administrator
 -Teachers
 -Students
 -Developer
 -more?

Under the first branch could be found (that's only an example):
Administrator
 -distribution architecture
 -installation
   --partitioning
   --profiles
   --more
 -user managment
 -more

So, first of all I suggest to the devoler to write on paper a good
tree and then create the wiki.

Thank you all.