Re: Advice on elementary school environment

Am Montag 29 Oktober 2007 schrieb Michael Hanke:
> [ I'm not subscribed (yet), please keep me CC'ed ]

Dear Michael,

thank you for your intereset in free educational software - and welcome
to Debian Edu (in case you didn't know: there is also a mailinglist in
German).

From what I heard, Debian will very well run on old machines as well -
but you might consider replace KDE or Gnome by a lighter desktop
environment (such as IceWM). There is also educational live CDs - but
taken the weak configuration of your school's machines, installation
would be a wise thing to do. How many disk space is there BTW? I
recommend a minimum of 4 GB for a full workstation. But if you drop
Openoffice and KDE, you will get along with 3 GB.

What other plans are there? How about internet usage? As you start
setting up a proxy and possibly even user accounts why not take the
1 hour to install a main server including squid?

And if you want to save N-1 hours installing your N computers you may
consider using the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP). Thus, all
desktops look alike and any additional application needs only to be
installed once.

Kind regards
Ralf

P.S.: May I ask 2 questions myself? Whereabout is that school (region),
and how did you find Debian-Edu?