Climate Protection / Re: recommended router plattform
maybe it is not appropriate to raise the ubiquitous topic "Climate
Protection" from within a running thread, but...
Generally, I see (at least) 2.5 dimensions to be discussed, as it comes
to the question: What router platform is the best:
- 1: What features does the software offer - and what is its quality
- 2: What hardware is available to run the firewall
- and what boot device is available for this hardware.
Petter suggested a floppy based distro (fw4li), but newer systems would
rather have a CD-ROM than a floppy drive. For some people, a 12 Euro
USB stick would be the most flexible boot device. Hence, the solution
needs to be flexible.
And then I wonder if there is any calculations of energy balance
comparing these three options
- re-use an old (but power consumptive) PC
- dump the PC and buy a new one that is less hungry for energy
- buy a dedicated internet router (approx. 20 Euro)
Am Freitag 26 Oktober 2007 schrieb Holger Levsen:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 12:02, Klaus Ade Johnstad wrote:
> > Anonther option would be to have a profile called "Skolelinux
> > firewall" that installed and configured this firewall, maybe a
> > student project?
> I like this idea.
It's a nice one, yes, but I wonder how much ressources does it take
- in terms of disk space
- regarding development
- regarding maintainance (incl. cross dependencies)
And what other nice things are possible within the installer CD?
(print [quota] server, web server, file server, ...) Which are sensible?
> Any objections to putting this on the lenny roadmap with low