Re: Upgrading WS from Sarge: 2.5 options

Hi,

Am Dienstag 16 Oktober 2007 19:36 schrieb Holger Levsen:
> aptitude is recommended, apt-get is legacy :-)

see below:

> > Today, I started trying option 1. according to
> > http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/Upgrades

This is the instructions I followed ^

> > This path turned out to be
> > - non-working (dependencies got broken as can be guessed from here:
> >   http://paste.debian.net/39847 - "840 upgraded, 408 newly
> > installed, 73 to remove and 3 not upgraded. Need to get 1208MB of
> > archives."
>
> Thanks for the paste.d.-URL.
>
> You used "apt-get dist-upgrade". I usually do my upgrades (between
> distributions) with "apt-get upgrade ; apt-get dist-upgrade"... (*)

see above. There were some conflicts or so - and downloading >1GB of
packages took quite too much time (2.5 hours I'd say). I might get back
to that machine later in order to send you closer details. I must admit
however that the original installation was before Sarge being released.
And it actually used additional sources (for java e.g.).

Today I started wondering if I should replace ALL thin clients
(neighbour room) by full PCs and switch BOTH rooms to lowfat clients +
dual boot. I am a bit uncertain about
- the performance running 2x15 machines from one server
- ongoing usage of Linux if there is most people's home OS available in
both rooms.

Regards
Ralf