Re: KLIK - Userspace Software Installation

Hi,

quoting from http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/User's_FAQ

 So you guarantee that running klik will not mess up with my local
configuration?

No, we do not guarantee this. An application may have a hardcoded or default
path to read and write its own configuration files. So the klik-ed
OpenOffice.org or the klik-ed KMail applications very likely will touch your
pre-existing personal configuration files for these programs (often referred
to as "the dot files in your home directory").

 What can I do to safeguard my current config files from klik's interference?

First, it is not klik's interference -- it is that fact that you use a second
instance of the same application ;-) To be safe, backup or move away the
current configuration files (or current Mail data files, or whatever), before
starting a klik bundle for a program that you already use as a system-wide
application. Or create a separate user which you use to test klik bundles.

What does that mean?

1. klik applications can do harm to the home directory and every other file on
the file system.

2. Imagine you run kde 3.5.5 on the computer. Imagine you try out kde4 with
klik. All config files get upgraded to kde4. Then you cannot use kde 3.5.5
with your new upgraded config files and your old environment is basically
destroyed.
(The example of kde, 3.5.5 and 4 is fictional. Not fictional is that newer
applications often upgrade the users configuration files and downgrades are
not supported.)

regards,
	Holger

P.S.: the icing on top:

 Can't you introduce some sort of signing for your klik .cmg files, or for
your recipes?

Yes, we can. We are just not yet sure what's the best way to do this. We are
open to your suggestions.