Re: [Debian Wiki] Update of "DebianEdu/HowTo/LtspLowFatWorkstation" by KnutYrvin

Hi,

On Thursday 19 July 2007 01:15, Debian Wiki wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Debian Wiki" for
> change notification.
>
> The following page has been changed by KnutYrvin:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/LtspLowFatWorkstation
>
> The comment on the change is:
> Keith Packard at Intel sugested to name Diskless to LowFat

So what? I suggest to rename "tjener" to "blueserver" now. "Server" is much
better understood and "blue" means "serious" ;-) Should I?

Cheese is lowfat but Workstations are diskless.

Also, this page is referenced in our packages and in our documentation.

I just wanted to revert the change, but the wiki didnt let me. Sigh.

I got flamed, for fixing a _bug_ last minute (lsb-release=3.2 was completly
wrong: our release will (unfortunatly) be called 3.0 and debian has 4.0, the
lsb version is 3.1, so 3.2 is/was just buggy - now lsb-release reports 4.0,
so third party applications relying on this will conviniently detect it as an
etch system), but other people happily change the installations cds in a way
I consider potentially high risk (i'll open a bottle of sparkling water if
this breaks powerpc, which i'll not be able to test before the planned
release date) or do the above change.

shaking his head,
	Holger

P.S.: I wrote the above at 2:30 (and had a typo in the to:-header), then went
to bed, got hooked into a good book to think of something else, finished it
until it was almost 5, and then couldnt sleep. Got up, and moved the
debian-edu mailsfolders back into the many debian folders I have. Until now I
had the edu folders sorted outside the debian mailfolders to have them more
visibly, but this broke the camels back. As you could see today on IRC or in
the above paragraph, I was already quite frustrated about certain things atm,
to say it mildly.

Really, changing 3.0 to 4.0 (which we havent done) is considered to be too
much, too late, even though almost nobody cares about version numbers and/or
almost everybody believes higher version numbers are better, but changing
core names (=definitions) to something more or less meaningless in the last
minute??!

Please revert this silly change. (I have recreated
DebianEdu/HowTo/LtspDisklessWorkstation as I couldnt rename the page, but
neither replaced lowfat with diskless in it nor reverted the change in etch
documentation Knut also made...) Please, someone...

Why cant we concentrate on getting the release out (and stoping making
non-bugfix changes in the last minute, too) and fixing the incomplete
documentation instead?

Now I'll go to bed and just hope that Knut says "good point", reverts this and
let's me look silly with this way too long and too frustrated mail :-)