Re: Education metapackages reorganization

[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> Please, take a look to the attached document. All the feedback,
> specially from teachers, is really welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the package list.
It took a while before I could have a look at the document, as it is a
but extra work to get access to non-text (as in binary file format)
documents the way I organise my email.  Sorry about that.

I had a look at the list, and as I am not a teacher, I have no opinion
on which of the packages are useful for schools.  I trust you to know
better than me. :)

Btw, I believe it is important for us to avoid having to spend time at
the moment evaluating individual licences to not include any non-free
packages as depends or recommends.  I'm not sure if you used that as a
criteria when you suggested packages to include.

> As I wanted to send this information a.s.a.p. I have only studied
> the most "educative" metapackages, so I haven't touched yet the
> workstation, kde-desktop, etc. metapackages. That's why they have a
> grey background in the document.

Note that the workstation and standalone tasks are the ones installed
by default on desktops in Debian Edu.  The other tasks are not
installed by default, and was inherited from the original Debian Edu
project.  But I did have a look at the packages you listed as depends
in the tasks, and found a few gold nuggets I wasn't aware of.

Now we need to decide which of these should be listed as depends or
recommends in the standalone task, to get them installed by default in
the workstation and standalone profile in Debian Edu.  Which of the
packages do you suggest?  All of the depends?

Btw, I noticed you did not list any packages as recommends.  It might
be an idea to sort packages in three groups, depends for core
packages, recommends for packages to install if available, and
suggests for the packages that are nice to have.  In Debian Edu, the
depends and recommeds are installed by default, but most of the
recommended packages do not fit on the CD and is only included on the
DVD.

Happy hacking,