Re: List of Educative Software: Linuxsignpost + X

Dear Holger,

thank you for replying. Let me answer - out of the snow:

Am Dienstag 06 Februar 2007 12:57 schrieb Holger Levsen:
> What is the objective of the linuxsignpost?

Linuxsignpost is a database for (mostly educational) software that has
for any entry information about license, category, supported OS,
screenshots, ratings, ... There is also a section of windows software.
Every windows software can be linked to free/GNU Linux software, so you
will easily find alternatives if you plan to migrate. You can even get
a migration plan by selecting a set of unfree software. Then you will
get a list of alternative software with further information.

Try this as a start:
http://www.skolelinux.no/linux-signpost/showServices.php?serviceId=151&locale=de

> > Additionally, we started a wiki table of free educative
> > applications [2]. But this has proven quite uncomfortable,
> > personally, I am convinced we need some relational database that
> > can easily be extended.
>
> Why? (are you convinced...)

Because a database allows you to rearrange its entry the moment you need
it without the need to scroll through lines of code. Your data is
always sorted and you can change categories whenever you want and thus
move applications to another section. You can filter incomplete entries
and create statistics and other kind of reports.

> > What is your suggestions? Is there anybody else interested in such
> > a data base, maybe based on [1]?
>
> What is the problem/are the problems you're trying to solve?

We need a comprehensive list/database of free educational software. Each
entry needs information about the type of software (edutainment,
trainer, ...), the subject it can be used in ( e.g. math), the
level/age addressed, and then more technical, if there is debian
packages or what other ways of installations are there, what
dependencies are there (libs, hardware). Furthermore links to sample
files/lessons are desired. And above all: screenshots (a picture says
more than 1,000 words).

The Linuxsignpost gets very close - but at some stage lacks the
flexibility of a wiki page. This is why I considered embedding a linked
wiki page within every description.

Regards
Ralf