Re: List of Educative Software: Linuxsignpost + X

Am Sonntag 04 Februar 2007 20:19 schrieben Sie:
> If you choose to base it on [1] ,then please let me know if there is
> any way I can be of assistance.

Dear Arnt Ove,

thanks for your fast reaction. I hope you are well and content with
whatever you are doing... ;)

> I have done most of the development of Linux Signpost, and will
> gladly provide you with any information or help in any way I can.

Thank you. This is really valuable to know. I guess, you are short of
time, otherwise my favorite option was that we discuss how to develop
the Signpost further on - and we try to implement this or that
together. But I am quite at an early stage within my learning process
of MySql + PHP, so in the beginning, it was up to you to decide what is
possible.

One level down, you surely could assist me to get a full dump of the
database, so I can try to reconstruct it in some local database, add
some fields / features and then upload the database again.

You did already a great job with localisation - but in the long term I
think the database is too static for all the languges. Maybe we find a
way to outsource descriptions to the wiki by creating generic URLs from
the entry names. Maybe we can even embed the wiki description.

Another thing that gets hard now, is to cope with versions, e.g. we
could say: OpenOffice.org is preinstalled on Skolelinux >1.0, but
additionally we might want to provide a table like this:

Skolelinux 1.0: Ooo 1.0.1
Skolelinux 2.0: Ooo 1.2
Skolelinux 3.0: Ooo 2.1

With Debian, we could likewise state recent versions, by querying the
debian database, if we have the right package name.

Further information, like teaching examples, could be left to the
embedded/linked wiki page.

Finally we need to discuss if we should re-gain our old domain
linuxsignpost or go for yet another one (if anybody has objections to
this project name).

Kind regards
Ralf.