Re: Fl_TeacherTool 0.40 Released

El vie, 26-01-2007 a las 23:38 +0100, RalfGesellensetter escribió:
> Am Freitag 26 Januar 2007 19:23 schrieb José L. Redrejo Rodríguez:
> > Controlaula
> > http://www.itais.net/controlaula/ for gtk based Desktops
>
> Hi José,
>
> thank you for pointing us to this interesting project! Is there any
> chance to use this tool for (Qt C++ based) KDE desktops as well?

Hi Ralf, the application is made in gambas[1]. One of the nicest
features of this language is that just changing an option before
compiling you get a qt native app, or a gtk native app. So a qt version
of ControlAula can be done in seconds. Only some aesthetical changes
could be needed in the screen to get a better look, as the measure of
buttons, icons, etc is optimized for gtk.

> Is there any Debian packages for testing / po files for l10n?

I've done debian packages, and the application has been used for the
last three years in Extremadura schools and high schools. Last June, in
the DebianEdu meeting in Extremadura[2] some of the people in this
mailing list could see it working in a high school[3].
The packages are available at the linex repositories[4] and my plan is
upload it to Debian in the short term. I haven't done it before because
I'm rewriting most of the Backend. The application had grown too much
since a little idea, with code from many different sources, mainly
high-school sysadmins and was hard to maintain now, so I'm refactoring
all the code to do it almost totally object oriented and easy to modify.
I'm also adding some new features (students can share files through
bittorrent, the teacher can use gobby[5] to start collaborative working
groups, etc.).
My plan is ending the new develop and tests next month, and then upload
it to Debian. In the meantime if you want to test the current version,
don't doubt in asking any question. The app is thought to self-configure
when installed in a Extremadura high-school (because of the rules we use
for the pc network names), but when install in some other places you
need to manually enter the data of the classroom computers.

From my (non-neutral) point of view, ControlAula has a great advantage
over other similar tools: it has been used for some years and it has
received a lot of feedback from teachers, so it's full with small tricks
that they like to feel confortable at classroom, and don't be scared of
using computers. On the other hand, It wasn't thought to be used in a
LTSP classroom, so I know the current version doesn't work in that
environment. For the new version I'm trying to get it working in LTSP,
but I can not confirm you that the first release will be fully working
in such kind of classroom, as I'm focused first in make it work in our
schools, and then, spend time in testing and debug it in LTSP.

Regards.
José L.

[1] http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Extremadura2006