Re: Article on KDE usability for Kids

On Saturday 02 December 2006 03:19, Jim Oksvold wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Nice.  On the other hand I read the article not as "KDE"
> > usability but as "Linux" usability.  Formerly I had installed
> > Gnome at my box and KDE (because claimed as easier to use)
> > on the box of my father.  Now I'm running xfce.  Guess what
> > my son likes most?  He was very quick in installing xfce and
> > I'll switch my fathers box next time I find some time to
> > explain him the changes (he hates any change even new versions).
> >
> > I never ever understanded the attraction of KDE regarding
> > usability.

Well, see the Meduxa release
http://www.grupocpd.com/archivos_documentos/info_meduxa/meduxa_project_released/PloneArticle_view
especially the 4 - 8 years old profile
http://www.grupocpd.com/archivos_documentos/info_meduxa/meduxa_project_released/Image00043009

And what's great about Linux is that it offers choices: Gnome, KDE, xfce, ...
you are right that the article is about Linux usability.
It is mostly about young kids ( the author mentions 5 years old) who don't
care about desktop, they only care about having fun and discovering new
applications.

Anne-Marie