Re: Wy did Skolelinux choose a KDE desktop back in 2001?

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Knut Yrvin wrote:

There was several reasons focusing on one, and only one desktop when
Skolelinux was initiated back in 2001.

Well, I do not really want to discuss or criticise your choice.
I just wanted to correct the subject on the previous mail that
was not perfectly choosen, IMHO.

1. KDE was fully translated to new Norwegian in 2001. Non of the other
desktop solution had as comprehensive language support back then

A very good reason and the only one that really convinces me
(not that there would any need to convince me because my opinion
about this topic is quite marginal.)

3. We did not have the resources to give full support for GNOME on the

It sounds reasonable to focus on von UI.

-- KDE uses less memory than GNOME and Xfce.

Ups.  You are kidding - at least for Xfce.

In short: I will not fight a user interface flame war because I
can spend my time with better tasks.  I just stumbled about an
article here that said "KDE is great" but the link to prove this
was just telling "Linux is great" in my opinion.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de