Re: Another idea-Re: Edgy+1 : Planning for the next Edubuntu version

Hi,

Oliver Grawert schrieb:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 31.10.2006, 16:17 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Pettiaux:
>> 2006/10/21, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com>:
>> A new software to manage the administration of the users and the
>> servers is being developped that could well be integrated in Edubuntu.
>> It is CIPUX.
>>
>> see http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/CipUX
>>
>> The active developpers of CIPUX are in cc., as well as the debian-edu
>> mailing list where much of the discussion is taking place.

> does it have an gtk or kde gui we could integrate into the servers
> desktop ? you might have noticed that edubuntu doesnt come with any web
> based configuration tools yet and we try to have the stuff we develop
> integrated into the desktop (i.e. see the student-control-panel or the
> willowng contentfilter)

It has no gtk or qt administration application at the moment. There are at
least 2 plans for writing one. One for user-self-administration and the other
for admin or teacher tasks.

It is not difficult to develop such desktop application, because the CipUX
framework can be accessed in two ways: 1) over the CipUX::Task API, means
over the command line. But 2) is better I think: over CiPUX XML-RPC, that
give the freedom to choose whatever implantation language you would like
to have.

> having a web interface as optional add-on is nice but i'd really prefer
> something like
> https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-network-auth-server

I did not look to much into details, but for me it looks like a client an
the cipux-rpc server ...

> we'll take webmin and cipux into consideration during the discussion at
> mountainview though...

No, CipUX is not depending on webmin. You have the choice to use webmin, but
you don't have to. For now you have the 4 administration tools:

* cipux-cat-webmin (ok that uses webmin, but don't install it if you don't want)
* cipuxPHP (Moodle plugin, you know what Moodle is right?)
* CipUX::Task (command line interface with over 120 commands!)
* cipux-cat-web (new web tool for a web server, NOT webmin)

And I know at least from an other project .... :) which I am looking at with tense!

So why not take CipUX and develop a gtk or qt application for it? Then you have only
20% of the work. And ! the teachers will love you, because they have not to learn
a new GUI when they switch the school. (Assuming it is installable under Debian or
Debian-Edu.)

Greetings
Christian