Re: Another idea-Re: Edgy+1 : Planning for the next Edubuntu version

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 31.10.2006, 16:17 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Pettiaux:
> 2006/10/21, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com>:
> > hi,
> > Am Samstag, den 21.10.2006, 02:31 -0400 schrieb David Trask:
> > > As schools begin to adopt things like Edubuntu, K12LTSP...etc on a large
> > > scale....being able to set up multiple servers and centralized
> > > authentication is a big point.  I already do this using Samba/LDAP.  I
> > > have multiple K12LTSP servers and a Samba/LDAP server for all users and
> > > their home directories.  This makes adding servers to the mix....a
> > > cinch...as I don't have to worry about users and their data....I simply
> > > point the new server to the Samba/LDAP box.  Matt Oquist and I (more Matt
> > > than me) have come up with smbldap-installer which makes setting up a
> > > Samba/LDAP server very easy (http://www.majen.net/smbldap) and thus gives
> > > the average school IT person(s) another option for centralized
> > > authentication of student accounts.  The scripts do a lot with user
> > > creation and passwords as well.  You can also easily set up BDC's as well.
> > >  We have it working very well in Ubuntu as well as K12LTSP and Fedora
> > > Core.  In fact, I find Ubuntu server to be one of the better ways to set
> > > up a Samba/LDAP server.  Anway...my point...
> > >
> > so lets see how we can integrate it in the default server install ;)
>
> Much work has already been done by the skolelinux/debian-edu team with
> respect to LDAP usage in classroom servers, and it could be
> interesting to consider collaboration on this point.
>
> A new software to manage the administration of the users and the
> servers is being developped that could well be integrated in Edubuntu.
> It is CIPUX.
>
> see http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/CipUX
>
> The active developpers of CIPUX are in cc., as well as the debian-edu
> mailing list where much of the discussion is taking place.
does it have an gtk or kde gui we could integrate into the servers
desktop ? you might have noticed that edubuntu doesnt come with any web
based configuration tools yet and we try to have the stuff we develop
integrated into the desktop (i.e. see the student-control-panel or the
willowng contentfilter)

having a web interface as optional add-on is nice but i'd really prefer
something like
https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-network-auth-server

we'll take webmin and cipux into consideration during the discussion at
mountainview though...

ciao
	oli