Re: a webmin replacement for etch...

Hi ,

Holger Levsen schrieb:
> as we have this as a topic for tomorrows IRC meeting, it's probably good to
> prepare the discussion here, to have a short meeting :)

sorry was busy.

> On Monday 16 October 2006 21:18, Christian Kuelker wrote:
> When? We plan to release debian-edu-etch ASAP after debian-edu and we would
> like^w^wneed to test it before, so you should aim for a releasable version
> now.
When it is ready. In November may be. I work on it. But there a to less testers.
If I get no feedback that it is installable or not I must test it my self. I
live in a Hotel now. I do what I can.

@Xavier can you build the 3.2.12 packages with source and put this somware?

>> Because it is a subset. Some of the functionallity is not tested for
>> Debian-Edu. I also would suggest not to import the hole into Debian.
>
> Ah. Do you have scripts in place to do this split automatically or how is the
> import supposed to happen?

Is it not possible to build only certain packages?
I mean not a split inside a package. Just throw the packages away you
would like to have.

@Xavier how can this be done? Or just delete the entries
from the control file. But then not all stuff must be in the source,
right? Can we skip the deploy directory, or how does it work?

>>> Anyway, it seems cipux also needs two more packages, which are not in
>>> debian yet: libauthen-simple-pam-perl and.libauthen-simple-perl. The
>>> latest source versions (as debian packages) I found are located at
>>> http://backports.cipworx.org/dists/sid/main/source/perl/
>> Xavier has made also baclports for that as far as I know.
>
> Shouldn't _you_ know which are the ones we are going to use? :)

The newest was from Jan/Feb 2006 they are ok. If you find newer ones, they should
also be ok. Xavier looked at the source at DevCamp and promised me to port it.
So he knows which packages.

> But so I got it right, these two perl packages also need to be packaged and
> put into the archive. Right?

Yes. 2 very small modules.

> Xavier, can you please file ITPs for those packages?!
>
>>> Based on these packages (or newer versions of them) I want to install
>>> cipux on a debian-edu/etch-system. But the instructions on
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/CipUX/Installation/3.2.12 are targeted
>>> too much at sarge and manual installation. For debian-edu/etch we need
>>> automatic installation and configuration. [...]
>> The reason for having a manual installation manual and not a script can be
>> found in the debian policy.
>
> I know the policy, I follow #311188 :)
>
> Obviously it's suboptimal^w bad to introduce more policy violations, but a.)
> there are ways to achieve this and not violate policy (but this mostly needs
> changes in the (other) packages we need to configure and b.) manual tweaking
> is no option as we want an easy installation as possible.

agree

>> So you should apply the nessesary changes
>> directly to the files in you SVN

In cipux svn? Ok that can be done. But for example I was not willing to
maintain a slapd.conf for DebianEdu/ Gentoo/ Ubuntu/ ... This are normally
done by the distributions. And I think this should be changed be openldap
or the vendor (DebianEdu).

> What are they? Do you have a file which describes them? (for etch)
I do not know etch very well. For sarge the Install manual for 3.2.12
will describe it. And someone with DebianEdge knowledge can tell the
difference. Or we must wait till the French team install it with that
manual on Etch.

>> From the bas CipUX packages this are.
>>
>> cipux-common
>> cipux-cibot
>>
>> Then you have base support.
>>
>> If you want a GUI or other sofware connected to CipUX you must install:
>> cipux-rpc
>>
>> On top of that you can have for example
>> cipux-cat-webmin (which is not a good choice, because of dependecies)
>> cipux-cat-apache (which is not released, replacement for cipux-cat-webmin)
>> cipux-cat-moodle (alias cipuxPHP, developed by the French team)
>>
>> cipux-cat-moodle is used in production in France. But there is a security
>> revision undergoing right now, so it seems that it can be improved.
>
> I've created http://developer.skolelinux.no/~holger/needed_packages.txt now,
> please check if this is correct.
delete the line
 cipux-task			# cli
add the line
  cipux-cat-web

> cipux-cat-moodle is the infamous php-frontend? ;)
yes and no. JeanCharles call it cipuxPHP. But may be we got an other one ...
For now it is a generic term for all cipux-administration-tools-in-moodle

>> If you want to have SAMBA support you can configure this or wait for
>> cipux-samba which might release with 3.2.12
>
> I'm not so familar with the webmin-solution we have in sarge, but I guess we
> need this?!

Skolelinux is a ThinClient based distribution. Are Windows thinclients around?

>> You should skip the following
>> cipux-deploy
>> cipux-client
>> cipux-notifier

> Ok. Why? (I'm curious :)

Because with cipux-deploy we would incooporate a hole distribution.
cipux-client and cipux-notifier are not ready
(@Benedikt, hello? No just joke! ;) Take your time, netgroups are more important,
then switch on and of the internet)

>>> As a second step, these three (if that is correct) source packages should
>>> be uploaded to debian-edu and debian.
well cipux-client and cipux-notifier if they are working, I would say without doubt: yes
But for deploy I am not sure. There are place for lot
improvements and a may be a switch of the distribution, may be debian ;-)

> You didn't mention cipux_task so far, from what I read on the german wiki I
> think it's very useful so I added it to needed_packages.txt. I guessed the
> package name is cipux-task (as the others), right?

cipux_task_* (notice the underscore is not a packages) it is part of the
LDAP abstraction layer cipux-cibot. Sorry for being unclear. And it is
very useful!

>>> It seems this requirements are also met by GOSA (used by the
>>> LiMuX-project (linux in the city of munich) and phpldapadmin (and maybe
>>> others, any hints?).
>> This is an LDAP browser and not customized for teachers.
>
> Are you sure, have you used it or recently looked at the screenshots ? To me
> it looked like a very easy to use webapplication...

well we can dicuss that by a beer, if you bring the printed screenshots.

>> cipux-cat-apache can be a solution, because it uses most of the
>> functionallity an 90% of the code of cipux-cat-webmin but without root
>> privileges.
>
> Is cipux-cat-apache ready to be used?
Sorry I changed the name: cipux-cat-web because it can also be installed on
other webserver ;-)

in 1 or 2 weeks i think, with a subset of the 25 or so cipux modules.

>> Then make a review. This offer is on the table since January.
>
> But there are no sources packages on the table, so a full review cannot be
> made.

Ok, I think Xavier can help out to make the source packages. I have to much to do
with the source code and to less knowledge about Debian Packages.

I think Steffen Joeris was also willing to make a strong review on that. He told
me after a visit in Forbach.

Greetings
Christian